Disclaimer

This blog may contain not-so-strong languages and slightly strong ecchi pictures. Please proceed with caution.

Sunday, 31 May 2015

Royal Tomb of King GongYang, Goyang DeogYang-gu, Gyeonggi Province: Final King of Goryeo Dynasty


King GongYang (Hangul/Hanja: 공양왕/恭讓王; Born: March 9th 1345 - Assassinated: May 17th 1394, Reigned: 1389 – 1392), whose born as Wang Yo (왕요/王瑤) was the 34th and Last King of Goryeo Dynasty. He was only nominal king that Yi Seonggye (Later King Taejo), the founder of Joseon who let him ascended the Goryeo Dynasty throne.

Gongyang was a seventh-generation descendant of King Sinjong of Goryeo, and the son of Wang Gyun, the Internal Prince Jeongwon (정원부원군/定原府院君). He married the daughter of Prince Changseong, Sunbi of the Gyoha Roh clan. In 1389, Yi Seonggye's supporters forced King Chang from the throne and enthroned Gongyang in his stead. This faction went on to oversee the events of Gongyang's brief reign, including the assassinations of Gongyang's predecessors, King Woo and King Chang.

After the murder of Jeong Mong-ju, the last major supporter of the Goryeo kings, Gongyang was deposed and the Goryeo dynasty came to an end. With the foundation of Joseon, he was expelled to Wonju in Gangwon Province and murdered with his two sons, including Crown Prince Jeongseong Wang Seok (정성군 왕석/定城君 王奭) at the third year of King Taejo (1394).

The Royal Tomb of King GongYang in Wondang-dong san 65-6 beonji, Goyang DeogYang-gu, Gyeonggi Province is arranged in the style of twin tombs with the gravestone and the stone table placed in front and the lantern and the stone tiger statue between them.

The tiger statue carries the traditional Goryeo style but is similar to that of Taejo's and Taejong's tombs, which were constructed in the early part of the Joseon Dynasty. Images of the civil and military vassals stand on both sides of the tomb. The stone figures in front of the tombs are simple in style, conveying a sense of being dwarfed.

The gravestone seems to have been built at the time of constructing the tombs, but the stone indicates that this is the tomb of King GongYang, and it is known to have been built during the reign of Emperor Gojong-Gwangmu of Joseon. There are others who claim that King GongYang is buried in Samcheok, Gangwon Province, where he was banished and murdered.

Friday, 29 May 2015

Koihime Musou Girls and Famous Koreans, Part XXXVII: Wen Chou and Moon Shin (1923-1995) - World Renowned Sculptor, hailed from Korea


Moon Shin (Hangul/Hanja: 문신/文信; Born: January 16th 1923 in Takeo City, Saga Prefecture, Japan – Died: May 24th 1995 in Masan District, Changwon City, Southern Gyeongsang Province, Korean Republic) was a South Korean painter and sculptor whose childhood name was Moon Ahn-shin (문안신/文安信). He was a member of Nampyeong Moon Clan (남평 문씨/南平文氏), originated from Nampyeong-eup, Naju City, Southern Jeolla Province where the Assemblyman of Busan Sasang-gu for the 19th Session of the National Assembly of Korean Republic, Timotheus Moon Jae-in originated from the same clan as Moon Shin. Moon was one of 24 artists invited to France for an international exhibition in 1989 to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the French Revolution. One of his pieces can be found in SOMA sculptor park celebrating the 1988 Summer Olympics Seoul.

Born in Takeo, Japan, his family moved to father's hometown, Masan City (Present-day Masan District in Unified Changwon City) in current Southern Gyeongsang Province. Since mother's family never accepted the existence of his father, he had to set apart from her at 5. In need, he worked as a laborer in Tokyo, studying Occidental painting in Nihon Art College since he was 16.

After independence of Korea, he refused to participate in Korean national art exhibition given that the foundation was conservative in his viewpoint. Later, he joined the "Modern art association" of major artists notably such as Yoo Youngguk, Park Go-seok and Han Muk in 1957 before he decided to leave for Paris.

He moved to Paris in 1961 at first. His study in Paris encouraged him to immerse in modern art, which made him get into abstract paintings or sculptures focusing on wood materials. This period is meaningful in that the artist widened his work space in arts.

After a two-year stay in Seoul, he moved to Paris once again. This time he paid attention to large-scale sculptors in abstract and imaginary structures, which called for invitation of several exhibition across Europe. The outdoor exhibition in Le Barcarès brought him international fame starting in Europe.

After coming back to Paris, his pieces achieved unique style in forms of symmetry, such as shapes of plants or creatures to fascinately demonstrate vitality. His pieces represent the beauty of Korean tradition through bilateral symmetry with images of life. Although early pieces during Moon's second term in France didn't have definite titles such as 〈Piece〉·〈Sculptor〉·〈Untitled〉, exact titles started to be presented at later phase. This period provided him with a series of great opportunity to introduce pieces in Italy, Switzerland, Germany and so on.

He earned an international reputation as a creative sculptor with his work "Soleillonautes" at The International Sculpture Symposium held in France in 1970 and continued to hold exhibitions in countries around the world, including France, Germany, Switzerland and Iran. After two decades of living abroad, he finally settled down in his hometown Masan in 1980 and held a series of exhibitions such as 'Europe Tour Exhibition' and 'Moon Shin Retrospective Exhibition'. He was eagerly focusing on sculptors made of bronze, stainless metal. The difference from his anterior period was ingredients: He started to use much thinker materials such as ebony and pine trees.In recognition of his significant contributions to arts, both Korean government and French government awarded him Sejong Culture Award and Order of Arts and Letters (Ordre des Arts et des Lettres) respectively.

His philosophy comes from the idea that all the creatures hold the concept of symmetry and harmony in nature. Strong materials such as iron and metal drove him to accomplish his original objective. His pieces show through patterns of Korean arts from the early 1950s and 1960s to mature abstract paintings until the early 1990s.

Moon Shin's most representative sculpture is the monument called "Olympic-Harmony," which was built to mark the 1988 Seoul Olympics, standing in SOMA Museum Sculpture Park. His lifetime wish of building his own museum in his hometown of Masan finally came true in 1994. Unfortunately, he passed away the next year after a long battle with a gastric cancer. Moon Shin was posthumously awarded the Geum-gwan Medal, Korea's Highest Order of Cultural Merit. His works have been displayed at Moon Shin museums in Masan and Sookmyung Women's University.

The French government honored Moon by celebrating his artwork to enhance interchange relationship between Korean and French modern art. Notably, his works were invited to several exhibitions: invitation exhibition of Paris art center in 1990; Hungarian Natural History Museum in 1991; retrospective exhibition in Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris (1992).

Moon Shin built his unique career through sculptures, paintings and drawings. His artworks are reminiscent of natural objects such as insects, birds and flowers though they are represented in abstract arts consisted of geometric curves, circles, and semicircle. This is because his works include minute imbalance, dissymmetry or bilateral symmetry of nature. Paradoxically, the asymmetric symmetry shows harmony as the both different sides take after becoming one. Eventually, his works lead us to the inner side of human being and the universe by telling the origin of life and the unknown world.



About his museum: Moon Shin Municipal Art Museum at Changwon
Moonshin Art Museum (Hanja: 文信美術館) opened on the land of 8,265 square meters at 147 Moon Shin Street/MoonShin-gil, Chusan-dong 51-1 beonji, Changwon MasanHappo-gu, Southern Gyeongsang Province in 1994, in order to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Moon Shin's art career. Sculptor Moon Shin (1923-1995) returned his hometown, Masan in 1980, after spending 20 years in France. Choi Sung-sook, wife of the late Moon, donated the museum to Masan City in June 2003, following his will that “I want to dedicate my museum to my loving home town.”

Upon returning home in 1980, Moon started to build the museum with hard ebony and pine trees, which were main materials for his sculpture works, and completed it in 1994, about 15 years after the launch. During the period, he presented his works to some 10 international exhibitions as a guest artist and held several retrospective exhibitions, which made him more acclaimed on the international sculpture arena.

The fee is only 500 won to get into the Moonshin Art Museum. Also attached to the museum is the City of Masan Museum, a historical museum dealing mostly with Masan`s unique history. If you want to see more of Masan`s art culture, be sure to check out Sculpture Park.

Thursday, 28 May 2015

Pyeonghwa Nuri Park, Paju, Gyeonggi Province: Hoping for the better Korean Reunification


Pyeonghwa Nuri Park (Hanja: 平和누리公園) is a peace theme park famous for "Windy Hill", where thousands of colorful pinwheels spin. Located at Majeong-ri 618-13 beonji, Munsan-eup, Paju City, Gyeonggi Province, this park is part of Imjingak Area. The park is also loved by photographers as it has beautiful small and large ponds, interesting installation artworks under the theme of peace, cafés and candle shops. 

The park was built in 2005 for the Global Peace Festival and is home to several pieces of installation art, none more impressive than Choi Pyung-gon’s “Calling Unification,” a series of giant bamboo men walking up a hill towards North Korea.

"Music Hill", an outdoor stage with a capacity for 25,000 people, holds events and performances in the hope of reunification and peace on the Korean peninsula. The Unicef Children’s Hall, a space for donation and charity run by Unicef, is designed to support and improve the living and welfare of children in underdeveloped countries like North Korea.

A popular spot for photos is Pinwheel Hill, a hill covered in hundreds of multicolored pinwheels. Thanks to the wind this spot gets, you'll find many families flying kites, too—kites can be purchased onsite. The architecturally pleasing Annyeong Café of Pyeonghwa Nuri Park has snacks and coffee, but its views are even better.

Paju Premium Outlets, Paju, Gyeonggi Province: Get your Designer Brands here and shop until you drop!


Paju Premium Outlets is the second luxury premium outlet introduced in Korea after Yeoju. Located at 200 Pilseung Avenue/Pilseungno, Beopheung-ri 1790-8 beonji, Tanhyeon-myeon, Paju City, Gyeonggi Province, the outlet was established by Korean conglomerate ‘Shinsegae,’ in partnership with Simon Property Group, a forerunner in the US outlet market. 

The three-story building has 165 shops and is known as having the largest number of individual brand stores in Korea (20 in total). Discounts at the outlets range from 25% to 65% and include everything from clothing to jewelry and housewares (such as Le Creuset and Royal Albert). Some brands are even offered at a lower price than quoted in the duty free shops. The outlet center also provides shoppers with various conveniences such as restaurants (21 in all) and numerous places to sit and take a rest.

Premium Outlets provides a special benefit to groups and tours of 15 or more people. Groups of 15 or more who make reservations 72 hours before arrival receive free VIP Coupon Books (maximum of 50 VIP Coupon Books per group). The guide or leader can pick up the VIP Coupon Books at the Information Center.

Cheongcho Lake, Sokcho, Gangwon Province: Pristine Lake in Downtown Sokcho


Cheongcho Lake (Hanja: 靑草湖) is a large lake located at the precinct of Cheongho-dong, Sokcho City, Gangwon Province - three kilometers South from Yeongnang Lake. Shaped like a cow lying down or wine bottle, the five-meter wide Cheongcho Lake expands the estuary and is the gateway between Sokcho and East Sea (Sea of Japan). 

In Soya Pal-gyeong (8 scenic spots), It was called "Cheongho Magyeong" (blue lake mirror) for its clean and shinning water. The night scene and sunrise viewed from watchtower of International Tourist Exhibition are picturesque. Moreover, the species of birds observed reach as many as 216. An ecosystem park is under construction.

Cheongcho Lake is one of the major lakes of the east coast along with nearby Yeongnang Lake and Gangneung’s Gyeongpo Lake, and is widely known as a port connecting the river and the sea. There is a 73.4m tower symbolizing the "99 Gangwon International Tourism Expo" which is located nearby the lake, a theatre where visitors can enjoy IMAX movies, and a marina which offers sea cruises.


Wednesday, 27 May 2015

Take Fivers: Koihime Musou Girls' Plan on Korean Homecoming - Extended Version


Hmm... this could be more interesting. Five factions of Koihime Musou Girls move to the Republic of Korea and a handful of Korean Surnames are available same as the girls, for those who have similar surname basis such as Hwangbo (皇甫), Roh (魯/盧), Yoo (劉), Jang (張), Cho (曺/趙), Sohn (孫), Ma (馬), Jin (陳) and Seo (徐) .

Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Koihime Musou Girls and Famous Koreans, Part XXXVI: Xu Chu and Guam Heo Jun (1546-1615) - the Legendary Doctor of Joseon


Guam Heo Jun (Hangul/Hanja: 구암 허준/龜巖 許浚; Born: 1546 in Hapo-ri, Jindong-myeon, Paju City, Gyeonggi Province - Died: 1615 in Heogabawi, Gayang-dong, Seoul Gangseo-gu) was a court physician of the Yangcheon Heo Clan during the reign of King Seonjo of the Joseon Dynasty in Korea. He was appointed as a court physician at the age of 29. He wrote a number of medical texts, but his most significant achievement is Dongui Bogam (lit. "Mirror of Eastern Medicine"), which is often noted as the defining text of traditional Korean medicine. The work spread to East Asian countries like China, Japan, and Vietnam where it is still regarded as one of the classics of Oriental medicine today. 

Heo Jun was born into a military household in 1546. Both his grandfather and father were highly ranked officials so he was born into an affluent family. However, his mother was a concubine, and in the Joseon era, being born into these circumstances meant lower status within the family and also in society. There are no detailed records of Heo Jun’s youth but one can easily guess what he might have went through while growing up, despite being privileged enough to receive a fine education.

It is said that he was unusually bright and knowledgeable in literature and history. Perhaps because of his leanings in these interests, or perhaps because he wanted to differentiate himself from the family legacy, instead of choosing a military career, Heo Jun chose medicine. Because there are no accurate records of his youth, there have been many fictional portrayals of Heo Jun overcoming these social obstacles to become the most noted physician of his time.

Heo Jun became a member of the Naeuiwon (내의원), the pharmacy and clinic within the royal palace, at the age of twenty-nine. According to personal records of a noble acquaintance, he had already been studying and practicing medicine with great success, and because of the recommendations of the aforementioned noble, he was accepted into the royal institution at a high position despite his social status.

His quick rise to the top only affirms what he was capable of, and it can be assumed he was met with a mixture of awe, resentment, respect, and jealousy among his peers. He was quickly appointed as royal physician to King Seonjo, with whom he had a good rapport until his death. Along with treating the royal ailments, he continued with his studies, writing and editing many medicinal journals and books.

The writing of “Dongui Bogam”, a medicinal encyclopedia featuring all the knowledge available in the countries of East Asia started during King Seonjo’s reign, in the aftermath of the Japanese Imjin Invasion but was again halted when the Japanese attacked once again which is known as Japanese Jeong-yu Incursion. Regardless of these difficulties, Heo Jun decided to take on this project as his life’s vocation and worked on the books steadily over the years. His loyalty and many accomplishments were essential in his continuous promotions, some of which were unusually favorable considering his social status. These were met with frequent opinions of dissent along the way, as the royal court was in political divide, with endless disputes and power struggles.

King Seonjo died in 1608. Heo Jun got caught up in the political divide and was exiled as the “responsible” physician for the king’s death although he was quickly restored to office due to his positive reputation and relationship with King Gwanghae, King Seonjo’s second son and successor to the throne.

It was during King Gwanghae’s reign in 1610 when “Dongui Bogam” was completed, 14 years after it was started and while he was in exile: 4 books regarding internal medicine, 4 books about surgery, 11 books various diseases and ailments, 3 books about pharmaceuticals, 1 book about acupuncture, and 2 table of contents and glossary completes the set of 25 volumes. It is a complete encyclopedia of the vast medicinal and pharmaceutical knowledge and practice of that time. As I’ve mentioned before, it is still referenced today in the practice of traditional medicine.

Being back at the Naeuiwon, Heo Jun wrote more books about medicine in his later years, but “Dongui Bogam” was his crowning achievement, establishing him as Korea’s most famous doctor, and one of Asia’s top physicians. Heo Jun died in 1615 and was awarded a posthumous title of honor.

Although Heo Jun worked extensively with the royal family, he put a great emphasis on making treatment methods accessible and comprehensible to common people. He found natural herb remedies that were easily attainable by commoners in Korea. Furthermore, he wrote the names of the herbs using the simple hangul letters instead of using more difficult hanja (Chinese characters), which most commoners did not understand.



About Heo Jun Museum
Heo Jun Museum (Hanja: 許浚博物館), a building with three stories above the ground and sized in 3,934 sq m, which is located at 87 Heo Jun Avenue/Heojunno, Gayang 2-dong 26-5 beonji, Seoul Gangseo-gu, opened on March 23rd 2005 in honor of academic accomplishments and charitable deeds of the renowned medical scientist, Heo Jun and to popularize Korean traditional medicine.  

The museum is composed of the Heojun Memorial Hall, a Herb and Medicine Room, a Medical Supply Room, an Experience Hall, and two floors of a Naeuiwon (government-run medicinal office during the Joseon Dynasty) and an oriental medicine clinic. In addition, there is Heojun Park and Heogabawi Rock, which are situated beside the museum. Apart from things related to Heojun, various exhibits, especially high-tech displays such as models, media and touch-screens are also available and on display. 

At the Experience Hall, you will come closer to understanding oriental medicine by getting a first-hand experience of what it is like to be an Oriental doctor. Furthermore, the reappearance of Joseon Dynasty’s Naeuiwon and oriental medicine clinic are exquisitely shown. There is also the resting area on the roof which is connected to the herbal medicine park, and offers a wonderful view to experience this vivid scene.

Celebrating 90K Pageviews - Road to 6-digit Pageviews.

Lee Soo-na with her ancestor, King Jeongjo the Great of Joseon (Yi San).

Monday, 25 May 2015

Take Fivers: Koihime Musou Girls' Plan on Korean Homecoming

Extract from the Official Website of Koihime Eiyuutan.
The Girls of Koihime Musou plan to go to the Korean Peninsula. They will land in the Korean Republic (South Korea), not DPRK. Some of the girls have relations to the Koreans who bear the same surname as the girls. The Korean surnames of Cho (조/曺), Seo (서/徐), Jin (진/陳), Roh (노/魯), Jang (장/張), Son (손/孫) and Jeon (전/田) are included in the list. 

Monday, 18 May 2015

Koihime Musou Girls and Famous Koreans, Part XXXV: Huang Gai and Hwang Hui (1363-1452) - The Longest Serving Government Servant in Goryeo-Joseon Timeline


Hwang Hui (Hangul/Hanja: 황희/黃喜; Born: 8 March 1363 [12th reigning year of King Gongmin of Goryeo] in Kaesong, DPRK – Died: 28 February 1452 [final reigning year of King Munjong of Joseon] in Paju, Gyeonggi Province, ROK) was a politician of the Goryeo dynasty and Joseon Dynasty, who once served as prime minister of the Joseon Dynasty - mainly in the reign of King Sejong the Great. He was a member of Jangsu Hwang Clan (장수 황씨/長水黃氏), a clan which is originated from Jangsu County, Northern Jeolla Province.

Hwang Hui was an official of Goryeo Dynasty since 1389. He witnessed some events in the turbulent and final years of Goryeo Dynasty such as Wihwa-do Retreat, Downfall of Goryeo during the reign of King Gongyang and the Foundation of Joseon Dynasty by King Taejo Yi Seong-gye.

He became an official in the Joseon Dynasty in 1394. Hwang Hui once banished from Seoul because he advocated Grand Prince Yangnyeong, the eldest prince of King Taejong Yi Bang-won, despite his erratic behavior in 1418. After King Sejong the Great's enthronement, Hwang Hui got reappointed and held many ministerial posts. Hwang Hui was appointed as a prime minister in 1431. He retired from the government after 18 years (1448) and spent his retirement days at Geumseung-ri. He died two years after the death of King Sejong the Great when he was 88 years old and buried at 23-73 Jeongseung Avenue 88th Street/Jeongseungno 88beon-gil, Geumseung-ri san 1-beonji, Tanhyeon-myeon, Paju City, Gyeonggi Province.

He served as the Yeonguijeong, the highest ranking of 3 appointed royal prime ministers (the others being Uuijeong and Jwaguijeong) for a total of 18 years with a total of 24 years service to the monarchy. He was noted for his political philosophy that stated, “That which is just takes priority and must be enacted.” Priorities during his administration included agricultural improvement, mitigating laws that increased social class gaps, and providing opportunities for candidates born out of wedlock or from concubines to take the civil service examination.

Saturday, 9 May 2015

Moe-Korea's Dev Log, Part VIII: Significance on two erotic main banners.




Frankly speaking, I've made two erotic main banners on my blog. For the first banner in thirteenth part, I've featured all heroines from Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai in two main eroges: Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai-A good librarian like a good sheperd and Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai-Dreaming Sheep. Most of the heroines are made by Bekkankou except for Sakuya Fujimiya and Nozomi Toki - made by Natsuno Io. For the Korean Description, I used Korean Mixed Script which consist Hangul and Hanja - with the title in English, "Moe Girls' Korean Story, Part XIII (X-Rated): Attack on Brothels-Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai Edition". Oh man, such a cute expression of these girls while having a sexual intercourse!

The recent banner featured all heroines from Walkure Romanze Series. Now, I can say the true nature of having intense hardcore sexual intercourse. By adding ahegao element on this banner, I add a picture of G-Dragon who expressed dismay on these girls showing their erotic expression while having sex by saying, "These girls are totally going crazy. Tsk Tsk." For the Korean Description, I used 100% Hangul - with the title in English, "Moe Girls' Korean Story, Part XV (X-Rated): Korea's Erotic Face (Ahegao) Festival-Walkure Romanze Edition.

The similarity on these pictures is these pictures are taken at Cheongnyangni 588, located at Jeonnong 2-dong, Seoul Dongdaemun-gu. Cheongnyangni 588 is the heart of Prostitution in Seoul along with big two brothels in Korea - Busan Seo-gu Wanwol-dong 1~2-ga (Chungmu-dong 2~3-ga) and Daegu Jagalmadang. 588 is a code meaning for the Korean word: 오빠 빨리 빨리/Oppa Ppalli Ppalli which roughly means in English as "Hey brother! Come Quick!" The word 청소년통행금지구역 means No go Zone for the Minors in Korean. 

19금/禁 is the Korean Standard rating for R-Rated or X-rated. Japan uses 18禁 to indicate all ero-manganime but in Korea, number 18 is a taboo. 18 is 십팔/Ship-pal in Korean but this number is correlated to the word 씨발/Ssibal which means fuck. That's why all erotic movies and hen-tie manganime is classified as 19 in Korea due to the taboo.


HEHEHE.... U MAD?

Thursday, 7 May 2015

Confucian Confusions in Korea, Part XXVII: Changgye-Sungjeolsa Shrine, Daejeon Jung-gu - A Shrine Venerated to Park Paeng-nyeon of Six Martyred Ministers


Changgye-Sungjeolsa Shrine (Hanja: 滄溪崇節祠) is a Confucian Shrine which is dedicated to Park Paeng-nyeon (1417-1456) and Park Sim-mun (died 1456), two Joseonese Ministers who attempted to restore King Danjong the Young back to the throne of Joseon Dynasty after forcibly dethroned by young king's uncle, Grand Prince Suyang Yi Yoo who later become King Sejo. Located at AnYeong-dong 560-beonji, Daejeon Jung-gu, the shrine is gazetted as Daejeon Metropole Cultural Material No. 2 on March 18th 1989 after Sammaedang (三梅堂) in Gayang 2-dong, Daejeon Dong-gu.

Park Paeng-nyeon is one of the four loyal subjects or specifically - one of the Six Martyred Ministers (사육신/死六臣/Sayukshin) who joined the restoration attempt of King Danjong the Young and was tortured to death. The reason behind the torture is Park Paeng-nyeon had purposefully misspelled words "royal servant" [he wrote the word meaning "huge" (巨/거) instead of "royal servant" (臣/신)] in all of his reports and never used royal grains but instead put them unused in a storage due to disloyalty against the newly-installed King Sejo. Park Sim-mun poisoned himself after hearing the news that his four loyal subjects were to be executed.

Stepping up to the shrine, there is a gate in the yin-yang shape. Passing through the gate, there is a shrine led by three different stairways. The name of Changgye-Sungjeolsa Shrine originated from Changgye, a former name of the Yudeongcheon Stream which flows in front of the Sungjeolsa Shrine.

Daecheong Lake, Daejeon Daedeok-gu: Third Largest Artificial Lake in Korea


Daecheong Lake (Hanja: 大淸湖) is an artificial lake created through desalination upon completion of the Daecheong Dam in December 1980. Located at the precinct of Miho-dong, Daejeon Daedeok-gu; multi-purpose dam consisting of a 72m-tall and 495m-long concrete gravity dam and rockfill dam. It is located where Eastern Sector of Daejeon Metropole (Daejeon Daedeok-gu) and Western Sector of Northern Chungcheong Province (Unified Cheongju City) meet. 

LOHAS Happy Road at the Geum River, which has become a nationally renowned tourist destination is situated in the close vicinity along with numerous natural ecology and cultural tourism resources including Hyeonamsa situated half-way up the Mount Gubong, Daecheong Dam Aquatic Promotions Center, Daecheong Dam Observatory, Chuibaekjeong and Cheongnamdae, making it and ideal LOHAS Ecological Tour course.

Due to construction of the dam, the beautiful village where 26,000 residents of 4,075 households lived in the areas being flooded by the Daecheong Lake has become a land only in their memories of leisurely life of swimming, fishing in the river as well as the beautiful and exotic riverside village atmosphere that cannot be visited again. They had to be relocated from their homeland to the urban centers of Sintanjin and Daejeon, and as far as the landfill area and clustered settlement in industrial estate in Namyang.

Daecheong Lake, by putting its painful memories of the past behind, has become a resting place for the souls of the residents of Daejeon and Chungcheong Province, and a renowned tourist destination visited by more than 2 million visitors annually.

Diverse range of ecological tourist destinations such as LOHAS Happy Road at the Geum River, San-Ho-Bit Daecheong Park, Samjeong-dong Ecological floating wetland, Ihyeon-dong giant silver grass wetland are situated in the areas surrounding the Daecheong Lake, and Cheongnamdae (former summer house for the President of Korean Republic), Hyeonamsa, Daecheong Lake Sculpture Park and Aquatic Promotions Center in close vicinity. 

The observatory, located at Palgakjeong Service Area, offers a great view of Daecheong Lake . A variety of fascinating items are displayed in the Water Culture Center (물문화관) on the left bank of Daecheong Dam. A nearby grassy meadow promises a relaxing and comfortable rest, while local delicacies such as freshwater fish stew and marinated grilled eel are a delight to taste.