Disclaimer

This blog may contain not-so-strong languages and slightly strong ecchi pictures. Please proceed with caution.

Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Gyeongsang-Gamyeong Park, Daegu Jung-gu: Ancient Capital of Gyeongsang Province


Gyeongsang-Gamyeong Park (Hanja: 慶尙監營公園) was the original location for Gyeongsang-Gamyeong before it was moved to Daegu Metropole about four hundred years ago. Located at 99 Gyeongsang-Gamyeong Street/GyeongsangGamyeong-gil, Pojeong-dong 21-beonji, Daegu Jung-gu - It was turned into a park in 1970 to preserve the location, permanently. It was initially called ‘Central Park’ because of its location in the center of Daegu, but its name was changed to ‘Gyeongsang-Gamyeong Park’ in 1997.

Seonhwadang (Daegu tangible cultural property No.1), where Gyeongsang Gamsa worked, and Jingcheonggak (Daegu tangible cultural property No.2), which is a dwelling place, as well as the gravestone (No. 27) containing the achievements of the governor or Gwanchalsa, can all be found inside the park. 

The park is loved by citizens because of its green forest, beautiful flowers, well-organized grass plaza, fountain, and its comfortable walking roads and benches. It acts as a quiet resting place where one can escape urban life and ease fatigue and stress.

Seonhwadang was constructed in Daegu when Gyeongsang-Gamyeong was moved here from Andong during the 34th reigning year of the King Seonjo (1601). This building was where the governor worked and it was ravaged by fire twice in 1730. The current building was reconstructed in the 7th reigning year of King Sunjo (1897). It was located on the premises of the Northern Gyeongsang Provincial Office until 1969 before being turned into Central Park in 1970. Additional repairs gave it the look it enjoys today. 

Jingcheonggak is believed to have been constructed together with Seonhwadang when Gyeongsang-Gamyeong moved to Daegu in the 34th year of King Sunjo (1601). This building was ravaged by fire twice in 1730, and the building was newly built in the 13th reigning year of King Jeongjo the Great (1789). Since then, numerous repairs turned the former Gyeongsang Gamyeong into the current park. Jingcheonggak is located behind the left side of Seonhwadang. This park is accessible by using DTRO Line 1 to Station 131: Jungangno Station.