Changjeol Seowon (Hanja: 彰節書院) is located about 50m away from Yeongwol-eup office towards Jecheon, Northern Chungcheong (Specific Location: 60 Danjong Avenue/Danjongno, Yeongheung-ri 1063-1 beonji, Yeongwol-eup, Yeongwol County, Gangwon Province).
In 1685 (11th year in the reign of King Sukjong), Hong Manjong (1643~1725), the governor of Gangwon Province, asked the Court to enlarge the shrine of Danjong saying how narrow it is. Therefore, Sukjong made Jo Ihan, the governor of Yeongwol of the time, build Sayuksinsa (The Shrine of Six Martyred Ministers) next to the shrine. Woo-am Song Siyeol (1607~1689) wrote the hanging board of Sayuksinsa. In Sayuksinsa, mortuary tablet of Eom Heungdo was enshrined with those of Six Martyred Ministers.
As Danjong was restored his throne in May 1699 (25th year in the reign of King Sukjong), it became a problem that Yuksinsa takes place in the precincts of the shrine in Royal Tomb of Jangneung. In 1705 (31st year in the reign of King Sukjong), it was moved to present location. In 1709 (35th year in the reign of King Sukjong), as Eom Yang-yeong, a Confucian of Yeongwol, requested, the name, Changjeolsa, was given. New hanging board was written by Kwon Sang-ha (1641~1721).
In 1743 (19th year in the reign of King Yeongjo), Eom Heungdo was promoted to Gongjochamui. In 1758 (34th year in the reign of King Yeongjo), Sayuksin was promoted. In 1788 (12th year in the reign of King Jeongjo), as Kim Jaechan, the governor of Gangwon-do, was looking around Changjeolsa, he realized that the hall and Baegyunru might collapse. So, he requested repair to the Court, and King Jeongjo approved, and composed message of condolence by himself. At the same time, it was commanded to held memorial service in Jeongryeogak for Eom, Heungdo as well. In 1791 (15th year in the reign of King Jeongjo), Kim Si-seup and Nam Hyo-on was additionally enshrined.
In 1828 (28th year in the reign of King Sunjo), Eom Heungdo was promoted to Gongjopanseo, and Changjeolsa was renamed to Changjeol Seowon. In the same year, Park Simmun was additionally enshrined, and in 1833 (33rd year in the reign of King Sunjo), Eom Heungdo was additionally enshrined. Changjeol Seowon was repaired extensively from 1892 to 1898. Baegyunru was completed by Park Gyomuk, the descendant of Park Simmun.
The gatehouse of memorial hall is Baegyunru. It has 3 kan in the front and 2 kan in the side. It's a 2-story tower that has a paljak roof. The hanging board was gone during the Korean War, and it was replaced in 1964. Changjeol Seowon has 5 kan in the front and 2 kan in the side. It has a paljak roof. Yun Sa-guk wrote the hanging board. On the pillar, 2 wooden blocks are hanging. A continued poem is written half and half on each board. On the hanging board of Naesammun, Sayuksin is written from right to left. If you walk into shrine through the door, there is Changjeolsa. It has 5 kan in the front and 2 kan in the side. It has a matbae roof. Each sides of it face east and west. Kim Si-seup, Nam Hyo-on, Park Simmun, and Eom Heungdo as well as Sayuksin are enshrined. A memorial service is held every spring and fall.