Hyanggyo is an educational institute formed by the state to pay a tribute to great Confucian scholars and to teach their disciplines to local students. Okcheon Hyanggyo (Hanja: 沃川鄕校) was established in 1397, the 7th year of King Taejo Yi Seong-gye's reign, and was rebuilt after it was burnt down during the Japanese Imjin Invasion of Korea in 1592. It is located at 8-5 Hyangsu 8th Street/Hyangsu 8-gil, Gyodong-ri 320-beonji, Okcheon-eup, Okcheon County, Northern Chungcheong Province - beside to the birthplace of Yook Young-soo, the mother of Current President of Korean Republic, Park Geun-hye.
Having been restored in 1961, the current form of the building was completed after two times of maintenance made in 1966 and 1974. Only Daeseongjeon, Myeongnyundang, Dongjae, Seojae, Naesammun, Oesammun, and Gojiksa remained until now. Daeseongjeon shrine is put up with portraits of scholars of both China and Korea including Confucius. It became the source of enlightenment as a hall where students gathered to study.
Although it had been operated upon the assistance from the state in the era of Joseon Dynasty, its educational function disappeared after the Gabo Reforms of 1894, and only the ritual function remained. It currently retains many books such as 'Yuan/유안', 'Cheonggeumnok/청금록', 'Seonan/선안' and 'Gyoan/교안' which are important for research on local history of Okcheon County.