|Precincts of Gwanghui-dong 1~2-ga is taken from this gate. No doubt.|
Gwanghuimun (Hangul 광희문, Hanja 光熙門; also known as Southeast Gate) is one of the Eight Cardinal Gates of Seoul in the Fortress Wall of Seoul, South Korea, which surrounded the city in the Joseon Dynasty. The gate is also known as Namsomun (남소문/南小門, “South Small Gate”). It was originally called Sugumun (수구문/水口門) "Water Channel Gate."
Gwanghuimun was originally built in 1396, and was rebuilt from 1711-1719. It was largely destroyed during the Korean War (1950-1953), but was restored in 1976. The name Gwanghuimun means literally "Bright Light Gate".
Gwanghuimun is located in Gwanghui-dong 2-ga 105-3 beonji, Seoul Jung-gu, at the intersection of Geumho Avenue (Geumhoro) and Toegye Avenue (Toegyero). The current gate is located slightly further south than the original gate, due to road construction.
The gate can be easily accessed from the Dongdaemun History & Culture Park Station, which is located on Seoul Metro Lines 2 and 4 (205 and 422) and also SMRT Line 5 (Station 536). It is located about 1/2 block south from subway line 2, exit 3; and about 2 1/2 blocks east from subway line 4, exit 4. Visitors to the gate today are not allowed access under or above the gate, but can circle the gate and the section of the Fortress Wall is connected to the gate.